Hey folks, we have not talked since August 2023 😱
So this digest is like a phoenix - reborn with new articles and knowledge inside 😎
So, what's new? Let's take a sneak peek at our fresh batch of articles! 👇
- 🆔 UUIDs are Popular, but Bad for Performance — Let’s Discuss
Also good article Goodbye integers. Hello UUIDv7! In most cases small/mid projects will not see any performance issues such as big companies like Uber,Spotify,Netflix. In my cases at Django projects I leave
idas BigIntegerField and add separate separate
uuidfield as UUIDField for not exposing to external my primary key.
- 🔄 Database Migrations - as always good summarised article by Vadim about working with database migration during a software engineer’s life. Links to complex database migration of others companies are included. Also not about Zero Downtime which every developer wants to have in their projects.
There are also a lot of articles related to Django framework 🎸
- 👨🏻💻 How to communicate like a GitHub engineer: Our principles, practices, and tools
Quick reference guide:
- Be asynchronous first
- Write things down
- Make work visible and overcommunicate
- Prefer GitHub tools and workflows
- Embrace collaboration
- Foster a culture that values documentation maintenance
- Communicate openly, honestly, and authentically
- Strive for inclusivity
- Use emoji and animated GIFs
- Remember practicality beats purity
- 💽 Real-time Analytics in Postgres: Why It's Hard (and How to Solve It)
- 🛠 System Design 101
Explain complex systems using visuals and simple terms. Help you prepare for system design interviews.
- 🔄 An interactive study of common retry methods
- Refactoring has a price. Not refactoring has a cost. Either way, you pay
"Good habits have a price. Bad habits have a cost. Either way, you pay."
- 🙌 Random Thoughts 15 years into Software Engineering
Taking ownership and taking action instead of complaining 🚀
- 🎸 The definitive guide to modeling polymorphism in Django
Kinda new for me to read about
InheritanceManagerfrom django-model-utils. Need give it a try in a project.
As for GenericForeignKey good explanation by Luke Plant
- 💂🏼♂️ Vendors are Promising: 80%+ Savings on Object Storage Compared To Amazon S3
Alternative S3 datastores, but with S3 protocol support.
Also, Scaleway was not checked here, but as alternative can be checked
- 🔢 S3-Compatible Cloud Storage Costs
Additional article to previous one :)